Who doesn’t love grilled cheese? I must admit, I don’t usually eat grilled cheese, but I had a taste for one. Since we’re always trying to get enough daily calcium, I thought this would be a gooey and delicious way to do it.
I used riced cauliflower instead of bread to make the sandwich, and it turned out well. For my medical issues, the diet I choose is a lower carb one. If you are on keto or paleo, this will be a great lunch for you too!
Kidney Stone Diet Safe Tips: You can put tomatoes on this or even some pesto. Arugala would also be nice. Maybe just swiss cheese so you can keep the sodium even lower. The Gruyere was truly what I had the taste for and it was worth the extra sodium for me. Do what makes you happy!
Low-Oxalate, High-Calcium, KETO-Friendly, Grilled Cheese
A gooey and delicious way to get your calcium.
- 2 ounces of shredded Swiss and Gruyere cheese
- One 16 ounce bag of riced cauliflower
- 1/2 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon of garlic powder
- oil of your choice for pan
- 1 teaspoon of fresh or dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Take riced cauliflower and put in a food processor to grind it smaller so it looks like sand and can be easily formed into patties. You should get about 2 cups from the 16-ounce bag.
- Toss the cauliflower into a bowl and add lightly beaten egg, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, rosemary, garlic powder, and pepper. Form into what is as close to dough as you can get.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and oil it up. I used canola and a bit of butter. You can use what you like but don’t be shy. You don’t want the cauliflower “bread” to stick to the pan.
- Form cauliflower dough into a round patty (you should get 4 patties for two sandwiches). Gently squeeze out any extra fluid from each patty.
- Place both cauliflower patties into a heated pan for about 5 minutes.
- Take your spatula and gently flatten each patty and go around and shape into squares that resemble bread.
- After the 5 minutes are up GENTLY take a spatula and turn the patty over. BE CAREFUL. They fall apart easily at this point.
- Take 1/2 of the cheese and put it on top of one of the “bread” pieces. Flip the other “bread” slice on top of the cheezed one. Set the timer for 3 more minutes and grill up your sandwich. If your “bread” is not browned keep it on the stove a bit longer.
- When time is up, gently and carefully take the grilled cheese out of the pan and let it cool on a plate. It will continue to firm up as it cools!
Oxalate: 4mg Calcium: 502mg Servings: 2
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 5mg
- Sodium: 411mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 61
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 118mg